Thursday, December 11, 2008

On the Waterfront

In On the Waterfront the character of Terry starts out as having the mindset that one should never rat out their friends. At the very beginning of the film, Joey is planning to testify against the mob and Terry doesn't think that he is doing the right thing. But as the movie continues, we see that Terry's idea of not tattling is perhaps wrong in cases. He begins to see the mob killing off witnesses (Joey, Duggan and Charlie) and he doesn't like that. Terry knows that the Waterfront union is corrupt but still wrestles with the idea of turning them in. Once he starts to think about it, Terry comes to the conclusion that he would be betraying his own friends and co-workers on the docks by NOT standing up for them. The breaking point for Terry was obviously when his brother was killed and that was all he could take. Terry knew in his heart that he had to stand up to the mob because he would be saving many others' lives and his own.
I personally think that the fine line between "tattle tale" and standing up for what you believe in is sometimes hard to notice. When it comes to the safety or health of others, I would think that you are not tattling on someone but if it is for a petty reason, then one is more than likely tattling. I believe that when one has knowledge of a bad choice being made, that person should act upon that and make things right so that no one gets hurt.

1 comment:

Shane I. said...

Although he would be betraying his friends and fellow workers on the docks if he didn't testify on the murder of Joey, I think one of the main reasons he wouldn't do it was because he would be betraying his brother, who was deep into the mob, if he did. Once his brother was killed, I agree with you that it was his breaking point.