http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/world/asia/21china.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin
New York Times article on dairy scandal in China
Numerous dairy companies haved recalled all formula and milk due to the contamination of these products. Melamine which is a substance used for making plastic was found in nearly 10% milk tested of the two leading companies. This has caused a massive panic in China and has made many people go to hospitals and get their babies checked for disease. This story was interesting to read and shows how easy it is for big companies to make major mistakes. I found this intriguing and I liked to get a sense of what is going on in the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is pretty scary especially since we probably don't know everything that melamine can do to harm humans, especially infants. China really has had a tough brake when it comes to finding these dangerous substances in their products. Between lead paint and melamine we really need to be careful about what we purchase from them. At the same time however, I have no idea what my life would be like without Chinese products!
First i would like to say that the pink background on your blog is very atractive. But as i said on Campbell's blog this sort of problem happens frequently during industrial revolutions and is a part of capitalism. As new companies cut the cost of production in china they don't have to listen to the strict regulations of devoloped countries making it a lot easier for them to disregard them to lower their cost even further. I do hope that these problems start to lessen over time and that the chinese government will implement stricter regulations about their products.
Scary! I keep hearing more and more about contaminated food and unsafe products. It's a tough issue because we rely so much on imported products from China. I think we need to try and make an even stronger effort to regulate what is happening in factories and plants in China.
Post a Comment